Accurately assessing the grade and condition of a vintage toy is very subjective – and very confusing for those of you not familiar with the many individual niche markets that fall within the broad category of ‘vintage toys’.
Every seller, website and auction house seem to have their own method of grading, and every individual type of item seems to have it’s own unique grading system – all of which just makes the exercise of buying a vintage diecast model, toy or board game that much more difficult.
To try and simplify things we use the same 10-point grading system across our full range of vintage toys – whether it is a vintage Dinky Toy, a vintage Scalextric set or a vintage Beano annual. Here is how the grading system works:
- 10.0 – An item in perfect condition with no noticeable defects
- 8.0 – 9.0 – ‘Near mint’ condition with only one or two very minor marks/defects which are only noticeable on very close inspection
- 7.0 – 8.0 – Very good condition for its age. Minor wear, marks etc. but nothing very serious. A very good example.
- 6.0 – 7.0 – Good, used condition. Showing some signs of use but still in better than average condition.
- 5.0 – 6.0 – Average condition for its age and type of item.
- 3.0 – 4.0 – Fair condition. Has obviously been used and/or played with. May have obvious defects, parts missing etc. (This will always be detailed in the item description)
- 1.0 -2.0 – Poor condition with multiple defects, major wear etc. We rarely sell items in this condition, the only exceptions being highly sought-after vintagetoys that are very rare and/or old.
Although the grading sytem is a valuable tool for giving a quick overview of the condition, on the relevant product page we always give a detailed description of the condition of the item and list all known defects, and include detailed photographs – and we offer a money-back guarantee on every vintage item we sell. We have been selling vintage toys to some of our regular customers for over 10 years, so you can be sure that every vintage toy you see advertised on our website will have been carefully checked and accurately described.
If you have any questions or would any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us.